Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lets have a ball and a biscuit sugar

9/13/2012 WOD:
'Dubs'
20 Thrusters (35 lb)
20 Sumo Deadlift Highpull (35 lb)
20 Push Press (35 lb)
20 Overhead Squats (5-35 lb, 15- 15 lb bar)
20 Front Squat (35 lb)
4 burpees on every minute until completion (48)
Time: 12:11 

Man on man was tonight's WOD tough! I've complained recently that most of our WODs focused on arms and upper body, but tonight was almost exclusively about the legs. I am going to be feeling it tomorrow for sure!

This is my third week at 35 lb as my base weight for most of the lifts. I should be on track to move up to 40 next week, but the last two weeks haven't had a lot of lifting so I don't feel confident moving up just yet. Hopefully after next week I'll be a little more prepared.

Yesterday it was decided that I am going to take on a little experiment outside of the WODs that I am pretty amped about. Next Monday I will begin working on linear progression squats. Tonight I did my first ever back squat to find a good starting point for next week. We started with the 45 lb bar and made it up to 65 lbs.  It was decided we'll start next week back at 45 lbs and that I'll add 5 lbs per week. I will be lifting twice a week, on my usual rest day of Mondays then again later on Thursday or Friday after a WOD.

I'm really excited to see how this goes!  Beginning CrossFit I admit that I was afraid of the weights and the bars. I thought I would get gross and bulky. And sure that could happen if I went crazy with it, but I'm not. I am slowly getting stronger and I love it!

One last side note for today. Today at work I created the ultimate mega Jack White playlist. It included every White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, and solo album in chronological order. 9+ glorious hours of music. Through this playlist creation I was presented with an opportunity to share his talent with a Jack White virgin. Trying to come up with 15 or so songs that showcased his talents and abilities was the most stressful thing I did all day. Of course I didn't create it expecting them to immediately understand and appreciate him in the way that I do. It takes time. It even took me a while. I didn't fall in love with his artistic ways until much later in his career. And it's just recently that I can listen to his full body of work and appreciate it all. It still surprises me for such an unusual guy how emotional his music really is and how much heart is in it.


I'll leave you with one of my all time favorite White Stripes songs, Ball and Biscuit. I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is about this song in particular, but if you figure it out please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment