Monday, August 20, 2012

Sophisticated palate

I lie. I don't have a sophisticated palate in the least bit! I'm probably one of the most picky eaters you'll meet. I don't eat seafood whatsoever. I don't care for many vegetables. I don't drink milk (well chocolate milk but that's different). I don't like watermelon. You couldn't get me to eat something with mayonnaise on it ever. I'm picky. Thought it's something I'm working on, mostly in the spirit of of the blog and my new lifestyle! 

However, when it comes to anything sweet, gimme! Our local cupcake shop, Sweet, has new flavors every now and then which are usually delicious! This week's flavor was called Trip to Graceland in honor of Elvis.  The cupcake, pictured below, was banana cake with peanut butter fluff filling, peanut butter maple butter cream, drizzled with maple syrup topped with bacon crumbles. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard about it. I've never eaten anything with bacon on it that 'shouldn't' have bacon on it. Must. Have. Cupcake! 


I called the shop Tuesday around lunch time and reserved one to pick up after CrossFit. I swear it weighed a  pound! And it tasted amazing! Three bites in and I had to get a beverage to help cut the sweetness. And after the fourth bite I couldn't eat any more. I hated to stop because it was beyond yummy, but I just couldn't handle it. Emily - 0, Elvis - 1. 


Keeping with the foodie theme, I did something this morning that I have never done before in my life. I woke up for work, got ready and cooked myself breakfast. Not instant oatmeal. Not a frozen waffle. Not two eggs with no accompaniments. A real life grown-up breakfast.

After eating eggs a few days last week for breakfast I quickly realized it wasn't enough to hold me over until lunch. And I LOVE bacon so I decided I'd give it a shot. I have somehow only cooked bacon a handful of times in my life. And all those times ended up in burns so I was a bit apprehensive. I remembered about halfway through the cooking process that I had bought some strawberries yesterday and thought they would add to the well-rounded-ness of my adult breakfast. 

It was a great decision and I cannot wait to cook again tomorrow. I might even add some toast to the mix! Why have I not done this sooner? I feel so good getting up earlier and not rushing around. And I feel even better throughout the morning having had a pretty healthy meal.

And another great thing also happened this weekend, though it's not food related, I still had to share. 

My FABULOUS friend made me a new piece of art to go above my couch. The painting I had there previously was a family piece that belonged to my husband's family from Iceland so I couldn't in good conscious keep it. I guess she had heard me talk about it a little so she made me a replacement piece that I adore!!! 

"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."
She bought an old window and painting one of my favorite Mumford and Sons lyrics on it. I love it! It makes me happy every time I look at it. And when the sun hits it just write the lyrics cast a shadow on the wall which is even cooler.

New food and artwork make me happy, which seems to be a reoccurring theme these days. I like it and I'll take it because it beats the hell out of the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment