Sunday, August 5, 2012

Never in my life.

I like to say I'm two-thirds ginger. Generally pale and freckled. My mother will tell you I was tan as a child but that's since faded. I don't like to do things half-way so I finish off the last third with a little hair colour magic. And you wouldn't believe how many people think I'm naturally red headed. It makes me chuckle.

It is safe to say I was never fond of my gingerness growing up, but as I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate it. I don't look like you're average girl walking down the street and I've grown to like that.

However, being ginger presents it's challenges. I'll never have an even looking complexion because my face is riddled with freckles. Faux red hair fades with the quickness. And I can't spend more than 30 minutes in the sun without a little burn.

In all my 28 years that I can remember I've never once survived a South Carolina summer without at least one excruciatingly painful sunburn. The kind that makes sleep difficult and results in peeling skin. The kind that no matter how much aloe or lotion you apply, the sting just won't budge. The kind that you dread putting clothes on because anything touching your skin makes you whimper.

Well I'm not sure what has changed this year, but it's five days into August and I'm sunburn free! I've always been responsible with sunscreen and haven't been applying anymore this year than usual. And I've been in the sun pretty regularly. I actually had a decent little tan as early as May that I've been able to maintain.

I don't know if it's something in the water or I've just been lucky, but hey I'll take it. Here's hoping I can keep up the trend through these couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment