Monday, December 31, 2012

On foot

Yesterday I set out on foot for an eight mile hike with two great people and one big dog. The weather was a bit chilly but there wasn't a cloud in the sky so it was hard to complain.

The first half of the hike to Starbucks flew by! I few people honked and waved. And I imagine lots of people thought we were nuts walking a huge dog through town, but worth the crazy thoughts. Took a nice half-hour break on the patio sipping on yummy beverages trying to stay warm then it back to pounding the pavement. About halfway through the hike back I was starting to get a little tired. And my feet were feeling it too! After about 3 hours we made it back with eight miles and our first urban hike under our belts. Success!

Walking the mostly flat surface and feeling fatigued made me realize I'm going to need to do a bit of training before our Whistler backpacking trip next September. A few hikes in the new boots and probably a few with the weighted pack should be good training.

Already looking forward to the next hike and really looking forward to getting the stamp in my passport when we head to Canada for some real hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment