Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Great programming

1/1/2013 LP:
Back Squat: 100 lb
Press: 45 lb

1/1/2013 WOD:
4 RFT
5 Negative Pull-ups
20 yd OH Walking Lunges (10 lb)
5 push-ups (2 rounds on knees)
20 sit-ups
Time: 17:30

It's nice knowing someone with a key to the gym! I started out 2013 by moving a little weight around and working on a few things I'd like to master sooner than later.

After doing the lighter squat on Saturday I decided to start my progression back a few lbs and spend a few weeks progressing again to my goal weights. I think this will help me ultimately reach my next goal  of 135 and doing it much more comfortably. Next week I'll also be going back up to 50 lbs on the press for a few weeks. I'm enjoying the slower progress on the press and I can really tell I'm benefiting from it.

Knowing I wanted to get in three CF workouts this week and wanted some good rest days, I decided to come up with one on my own to do after I lifted. Already at the gym with the place mostly to yourself, why not take advantage of it, right? I decided to do lower number reps for pull-ups and push-ups and try to focus on getting better at them. I did negative pull-ups, which means I jumped up above the bar and lowered myself slowly. Doing negatives helps strengthen the muscles needed to do proper pull-ups so I'm going to be sneaking them in when possible as my goal for my first pull-up is April. As far as the push-ups I wanted to try to do as many as I could in proper form instead of from my knees. I made it through the first two rounds but couldn't get myself off the ground after that. It's going to take some work to get more proficient at push-ups!

Want to hear a funny story? I came up with my little WOD laying in bed yesterday morning knowing it was things I wanted to focus on. Got that, completely on my own I came up with it having never done anything similar. So at about 10 am a few people showed up at the gym meeting one of our trainers who came in for them even though we were closed. I had finished lifting and was about to go start my WOD just before they got started. It crossed my mind to see what they had on the board to see if I wanted to jump in instead of what I had planned.

Their WOD was the following:
4 RFT
200 m plate run
8 pull-ups
14 yd OH Walking Lunges
20 Push-ups
24 Sit-ups

The numbers might not be quite right, but pretty close. Other than the run and reps it's exactly what I had planned. Same order too! Guess I might be decent at programming, but I won't go sign up to get CrossFit certified just yet.

Just like New Years day, New Years Eve was splendid! Nice quiet night in with a fantastic dinner of brined pork chops, cooked apples, and sauteed veggies. And was even able to see the ball drop even though I've been cable free for well over a year. The magic of the internet is wonderful!

Looking forward to a fantastic 2013 and scratching items off my turning 30 bucket list!


No comments:

Post a Comment