Friday, January 25, 2013

Game plan

1/24/2013 WOD:
10 min AMRAP
5 Back Squat (95 lb)
50 Single Unders
5 Strict Push-ups
Rounds: 5

Over the last few months the 5:30 class at my gym has been growing. And growing. It's great having new folks join in on the fun and getting hooked like the rest of us. Because of the growth, the amount of space we have and the limited number of bars/plates/ab mats/etc we sometimes have to do two or three heats for the WOD  Normally its by who was there earliest unless someone really needs to leave quick. Fortunately it hasn't caused any major issues that I've seen. In addition to the growth in class, when we had free week a few weeks back the trainers tried to get everyone to warm up together at 5:30 instead of individually as you came in. It's smart because it insures everyone warms up and starts everyone working together.

Add these things together and you have a 5:30 class that isn't getting warmed up until 5:35 because of the last minute folks and usually isn't getting started until 5:45, 5:50 or later. And if you're in the second heat you might not start until after 6. While I don't mind being up at PDCF and go almost as much for the people as I do for the hard work, if I'd like to get make the most of my time, be efficient and get home at a decent time after a long day at work.

All this said I've been less excited to go in and do the WOD with the group. I've been doing a few on my own, lifting extra in place of the WOD or all together making up an excuse for not going in. I've decided until they implement a 4:30 class (which is rumored) or go back to individual warm-ups so class can start closer to 5:30 like it used to, that of my three WOD day's I'll only be doing one with the class and will be doing two on my own. I realize I probably wont be pushed quite as hard this way, but I'll still be moving and getting stronger. Plus I can tailor it to things I know I need to work on if I want to make up something on my own.

I fully came to this realization last night and decided to do a workout on my own instead of with the group. Overall I enjoyed it. I still cheered on my fellow 5:30-ers in their WOD and was nearly finished with my workout as they were just getting started. Because I wasn't 'running behind' was able to work on a few other things like negative pull-ups. I'll test it out for a few weeks and see how it feels. If I really miss my class time I'll just suck it up and deal with the late nights.

Side note: This week's new addition to the menu is stuffed zucchini's. I've combined a few recipes to come up with my own concoction. I'll find out in a few short hours if it's a hit or miss. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment