Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Movin' On Up

Thirty Days of Thankfulness
Day 19: I am thankful for my trainers at PDCF.

I would have never stuck around at PDCF if it were not for the amazing group of trainers we have. They all love their jobs and what they do and it more than shows. They don't allow negative attitudes, they push you when they know you can do more, and they love seeing you make progress. They're supportive when they're on and off the clock. There are a few trainers I have yet to meet because of my schedule, but for the five or six folks I have worked with I am very grateful.

11/19/2012 LP:
Back Squat: 95 lb
Press: 50 lb
Sprint: 6 x 40 yd

Last night I made a giant leap! I've moved on from the five and ten pound plates with my squats. Tonight I got to add a 25 pound plate to each side!!!! The guys who help me on Monday nights are really great and celebrate every landmark with me. Even the meat-head guys are supportive!

All that said 95 lbs was tougher than 90, as expected, but I still think I have a little further to go before I hit my first threshold. 120 or bust! Though I've been informed 145-ish will probably be my initial one rep max. We'll see in a few months!

The press is a whole different story. I'm thinking 55 lbs might be it and that's being generous. Last night's 50 lbs was really really hard. I was using all I had to get that last set up. I knew this day would be coming much sooner than it would be with my squats. I have always been far weaker in my arms. So the plan is once I do hit the point when I stall, I'll drop back down to about 45 lbs, stay there for a few weeks then gradually start going up again until I stall again. Keeping the press in rotation will still help me in multiple movements in my CrossFit workouts and allowing myself to adapt to the weight over a few weeks will make moving up easier down the road.

My second week of sprints went pretty well. I added one more run to it this week and didn't notice a major difference with it. Though I could feel my quads screaming with ever step I took having already squatted. I'm glad I added it to my routine. However with it getting colder out I know in a few weeks I might regret the decision.

I capped off my night hanging out with with friends and eating an delicious bowl of chili. First let me say that this guy is an amazing cook and I think he will have a very successful restaurant one day. He's got the skills, personality, and business sense to do it! Back to the chili, I'm a fan of chili. There are a few variations, but it's pretty hard to mess it up and almost just as hard to make it stand out. This chili stood out! So much so that I stole his recipe. The secret, he added a beer to it. Not a fan of the taste of beer, I wasn't super excited once I found out, but it complimented the chili perfectly. Just subtle enough. I'm even willing to venture out and say it's one of the best chili's I've had, but don't tell my mom that!


No comments:

Post a Comment