Thursday, October 11, 2012

La Piña

10/10/2012 WOD:
20 min AMRAP
8 Front Squats (35 lb)
20 yd sprint
20 push-ups (knee)
20 yd sprint
Rounds: 8

This was my first WOD since Saturday as I was trying to make sure I had recovered from my cold and it was a good one! Those 20 minutes flew by and the push-ups were torture. The strange thing is that my last 3 rounds of push-ups actually got a little easier. I was able to do more reps at one time that I could earlier in the workout. Very odd! And just in case you're curious, 8 rounds means I did 160 push-ups. 160!!! Mind boggled.

As soon as this was over I regretted not upping my weight for the front squat. I know I'm not up to the same weight as my back squat, but I probably could have done 45 lbs. Having to clean the bar to get into front rack position first is what made me a little anxious and kept me at my safe 35 lb weight. Note to self: see what weight is comfortable to clean next Monday.

And speaking of Monday's, my linear progression was a success. I'm excited to pass the 65 lb threshold next week and to give the press another go. Pressing the bar and not using your legs at all is a very strange feeling, especially since I've only ever done push presses before. Very interested to see how this goes. I've also decided to track my progressions like I do my WODs so I can easily see my progress.

10/8/2012 Linear Progression:
Back Squat: 65 lb (45 lb starting point)
Press: 35 lb (starting point)

I'm still going strong with my primal food experiment. I even survived an impromptu stop by the grocery store when I was starving and wanted to grab every candy bar and frozen pizza in sight. The biggest challenge for me, which I have read is common among those transitioning, is that I find that I'm hungry about an hour and a half after eating a really filling meal. However, it's not a low-blood sugar feel like I'm going to pass out hunger that I'm used to. It's tolerable and I'm able to make it to the next meal.

I failed in my first attempt to cook sweet potato fries last night. I was in the home stretch, pulled them out of the oven to toss 'em around and put them back in under the broiler to get them a bit crispy. Then all of a sudden whilst cooking my pork chops I smelled smoke and they were goners. Luckily I was able to saute some zucchini up real quick and salvage dinner. Tonight I'll try to stay focused on the fries which should be easier given my pork chops are already cooked and ready to go.

I've been eating a good bit of fruit to help with the sugar cravings and while I could KILL someone for just one square of dove chocolate right now, the fruit has been pretty helpful. Eating as much as I have isn't typically ideal, but I'm not trying to do low-carb primal eating to lose weight so it's okay.

I did something yesterday that I have never done before in my life. Actually I did something on Monday and then topped it yesterday. While shopping on Sunday I picked up a pineapple. It wasn't on my list but I figured it could be good in the smoothies and I love fresh pineapple. Easily my favorite fruit. And one day I'll finally get one of those bastards to grow like they do on Pinterest! Sorry, I digress. I chopped up my pineapple Sunday night and strangely it had all be eaten by Monday night! On my way home Tuesday I stopped at the store and picked up two more along with a few other items. I chopped up the other two after dinner and had just a few bites before calling it a night. Then last night after dinner, my giant bowl full of two pineapples was empty. I ate two pineapples in 24 hours!!!! What is wrong with me? I've told myself I can't buy another until Saturday but I just don't think I can keep that promise. My apples, oranges and strawberries are great, but there is nothing like fresh pineapple!

No comments:

Post a Comment