Friday, February 8, 2013

Stop and smell the sugar!

2/7/2013 WOD:
5 RFT
1 min Handstand Hold (1 round on wall, 4 rounds on tire)
1 min Front Squat max reps (1 round 55 lb, 4 rounds 45 lbs)
2 min rest
Reps: 61

I went into PDCF tonight knowing I had to do the class, not matter how long it was or how many heats we were going to have to run. I wanted to be part of the group again, at least for one night this week. Thankfully the class was on the smaller side and it was a workout I could get excited about too! Another fun surprise was that the boyfriend joined in on the class fun too. He's a lifter so he doesn't frequent the classes much these days. This was only the second time since I've joined that I've seen him in a class.

Simply for lack of trying at this point, I'm not able to kick myself on the the wall for a handstand so I have walk my feet up it. I managed to hold myself up the entire first round which surprised me, though I may have been muttering some profanities under my breath. After practically falling on my face to get off the wall once the first minute was up I decided I needed to move to the tire for safety purposes.

I knew putting 55 lbs on the bar was risky. Not for the squat but because I'd have to clean it first and I knew my arms and shoulders would be mush. I was right! In my first attempt to clean the bar I practically dropped it. Second attempt got it up but it wasn't sitting were it should have been so I could only squeeze out 6 reps. I quickly dropped 10 lbs to a conformable 45 lbs for the remaining rounds. Cleaning was a breeze and I somehow managed to increase reps with each round, not decrease: 12, 13, 15, and 15. Craziness!

Sadly I only was able to get in one day of lifting and one day of CrossFit in this week, but tomorrow morning I'll be waiting at the bell tower at NC State for the start of the Krispy Kreme Challenge. It's a 2.5 mile run to a Krispy Kreme where each runner has a dozen doughnuts waiting on them and then a 2.5 mile run back to the bell tower. To be a challenger and win the race you must eat all 12 before starting the trek back and finish in under an hour. Or you can be like me where my goal is to eat 2 doughnuts. I did the race 2 years ago and it's a blast! My favorite part is smelling the sugar in the air before you can even see Krispy Kreme. It's a glorious smell!

For the boyfriend's family, Krispy Kreme Challenge weekend also coincides with another annual event for them, Turducken! Last time I only ate the chicken and turkey, but this time I'm going crazy. I'm going to have some of the duck too! I'm trying to win over his family even more by bringing buckeye brownies. They're all Ohio State fans so it should be an easy win for me!

Cavemen ate doughnuts and brownies right?

No comments:

Post a Comment