Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It's Tuesday and I'm still recovering.

Eventful doesn't quite describe my past weekend. I'm not sure there's a good word but I'll let you know what happened and you can tell me if you've got a word. The best part is that it was filled with all sorts of new experiences and goodies!

We'll start with Friday. My weekend kicked off Friday afternoon with my first visit to my cities downtown after hours event. Why have I not been to it before? Bands playing. Good food and drinks. Hanging out in the currently-being-revitalized-downtown area that I'm thrilled to support. Great friends and company. Luckily there are 2 more left before they 'close up shop' until next summer. 

At this fabulous downtown after five event, there was a little tournament of sorts going on. A first annual tournament for the city. A tournament I suggested to my friends and somehow got roped into participating in.  This $500 cash prize tournament I entered was for Corn Hole. For those who aren't familiar with the "sport", it's basically bean-bag toss. Wikipedia does a better job of explaining it than I do. Wikipedia probably plays Corn Hole better than I do too! Our team, aptly named Throws Like A Girl, didn't do so swell. Luckily it was double elimination so we got to play two games. Two games that resulted in the following scores: 21-0, 21-3. I did manage to sink a shot, but so did the other team so it was negated. Despite the outcome, I had a blast and even ended up on the front of the newspaper Saturday morning!




Saturday started out with a VERY early wake-up call from my mother at 6:45am telling me I was on the cover of said newspaper. She assumed my lovely doggies woke me up early. She doesn't understand that my dogs are fabulous and that I can tell them to sleep in on the weekends. Fortunately the rest of my Saturday was pretty relaxing, but not relaxing enough to squeeze in a nap.

I was invited to a gathering Saturday night at a friends house to watch some of the Olympics and play some cards. I think I may have briefly mentioned before that while I don't care what other's do, I don't drink. I have my reasons, mostly that I just can't get past the taste. I'm perfectly content sipping on some soda! Anywho, after the Olympics wrapped the guys were still playing drinking games so the girls joined in. Being a non-drinker I usually end up watching the games instead of participating, but I played a little this time. Beer or not, it was a blast! Sure, there were a few sarcastic "Drink your cherry pepsi!" comments, but I didn't care and they didn't really either. 

After wrapping up the games and playing D.D. to my not-so-sober friends, I called it a night at 3am. I haven't seen 3am in probably over a year. I struggle to stay up past 12 most nights so I'm not sure how I managed 3am on a day I was up earlier than normal too. You're body does crazy things in the name of fun!  

The weekend concluded with a relaxing afternoon at my parents pool with the ladies. I believe we may have gone into too heavy of a state of relaxation because it was decided we were going to cap the weekend off by making super yummy and mega unhealthy party foods to enjoy while watching the Olympics. We made enough food for 15 people, but there were only 4 of us eating. Our friend, the CrossFit trainer, joined us too but he has will power like I've never seen so more foodies for us! Total there were 4 dips, pasta salad, wontons, wings, and pigs in a blanket. Watching the best athletes in the world perform while eating junk food is a really weird feeling.



Verdicts: Corn Hole is more fun in your backyard than in competition. Downtown city events are a blast and I must attend more. Drinking games, sober or not, are plenty fun and full of entertainment. And only agree to party food night when you have at least a solid 8 people in attendance to eat and don't allow anyone to bring more than 1 dish unless the second includes a fruit or vegetable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment