Sunday, July 22, 2012

A fender bender of sorts

So today I experienced something for the first time. Something that hasn't made my life profoundly better. Something I probably could have done without.

My sister backed into my car this afternoon at my parents house. Yeah, I really could have done without that. It's not the first time my car has been hit, even been backed into in a drive way, but it's the first time my sister's done it.

Actually I want to retract the previous statement that she backed into it. That's not right. She slammed into it going backwards. My sister has a bit of a lead foot, even when backing out of the driveway. My parents have warned her about it before. I've warned her about it before. Hopefully she learned a little something from this incident!

My parent's driveway is four cars wide. Left to right her car was in the first spot. My car was behind my mom's who was in the third spot. So it was technically only two car widths over. Not too far for her to cause the damage that actually happened. I have photo's but before I would like to elaborate on how hard she really hit my car. And let me clarify that she drives a Toyota RAV-4 and I have a MINI Cooper. Both smaller-ish cars.

She hit it so hard she knocked the back corner of her bumper off. And damaged the metal under the bumper. So hard that she moved the back end of my car a little more than a foot. That she turned the driver side mirror around. So hard the driver side window shattered. That the door and interior door panel separated near the hinge. So hard that the interior door handle and speaker were almost hanging out the door panel. So hard that she asked me if I parked crooked because she moved the back end of my car about 1.5 feet.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture after it happened, but here's the damage after I got home. It's going to be a breezy ride for a few days. 


For someone who just had their car smashed and will have to deal with the hassle of getting a rental or finding rides to and from work, I was pretty calm. It's just a car. Sure it sucks that my parents insurance will probably go up since my little sis is still on their policy and they have a deductible to meet to get both of our cars fixed, but no one was hurt. And it's just a car. It can be fixed.

If anything good comes from this it's that I hope my lovely little sister has realized saving 1/2 a second getting out the driveway isn't that important. And to not rely on her mirrors only.

There is one more positive that I'm a little excited about. For almost a year the motor in my drivers side window has been slowly dying. Not something that effected my cars ability to get me from point A to point B and a rather expensive fix so I've been putting it off. Well guess who's probably getting a new door and saving some money on that repair?

There's always a silver lining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment